Martin

Default Council tax and new ways..........

"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Isn't this the reason they got rid of rateable value and went to the
community charge, then council tax as the first was grossly unfair?

Yup, and no-one is able to tell me why the complex and unfair system we

have
now is better than the poll tax.

Anyone?

It's not the poll tax. Thatcher made sure no one could use that option

again.

The problem with the present system is that it is too 'lumpy' (big steps)

and
stops far too low. The old rateable value was far fairer - and there

should
not be a cut-off point; someone with a 10 million GBP house should pay 10
times what someone with a 1 million house should pay.

Sorry I don't agree. I believe you should pay only for the services you use,
it should not be related to the value of the house. For example if you have
a huge garden and want your garden waste collected then pay for this service
based on the size of the collection. Why should one person in a 10 million
pound house inherited from the family be forced out of it because they
cannot afford the council tax? In my view everything should be metered that
way you only get what you can afford and you can prioritise your spending.