Dave Plowman (News)

Default Council tax and new ways..........

In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
So you'd be assessed on the number of bags of rubbish that had to be
taken away?

Why be assessed? Why not just charge for each bag, like many places do?
Pay at point of use - but if an idea is simple, it's probably not going
to work.

So you'd always have someone at home when the dustman called? Or would you
expect to be billed? Doesn't sound that efficient to me...

How much fairer could it be than to scrap the complex idea of banded
road tax discs, and just stick it on the price of petrol? The more you
use, the more you pay.

That's a reasonable idea, but then the excise duty arrangement also helps
keep track of a car's ownership and that there is up to date insurance and
MOT. Of course both these are now on a central computer so perhaps we'll
see the duty reduced to purely an administration fee. But then people moan
enough about the tax on petrol. Would they be happy to see it go up?

--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.