Default Sloping gara, -er, SHOP floor

Actually, that's what I would go with. I had to work in a facility
with a sloping floor for three years, and it sucked in so many ways
that I hesitate to catalogue them here.

Level the floor. Really. It's not extreme. Honest.

Bill

Robert Galloway wrote:
I'd go with the sloped sleepers before building bases to level up the
tools. Wood's a heck of a lot nicer to stand on over a long period than
concrete. Big questions would be; "How long do you expect to be in this
house?" and "in a pinch are you going to want to get a vehicle into the
garage?"

rhg

Matt Stachoni wrote:

Hi!

I'm getting ready to set up a "real" woodshop in the garage, and have
a fairly steep sloping floor to contend with. I measured about a 5"
drop over 25'. In fact if I release the parking brake, my car will
roll out into the street by itself.

Luckily, that;'s not going to be a problem anymore

My question is, how does one deal effectively with this with setting
up outfeed tables, workbenches and counters?

Since I only have one skinny bay to work with (about 11'x25'), my
current plan calls for a fixed countertop along the long side wall,
with hand built rolling shop cabinets below for storage and
convenience. I figure I'll put the counter in at 36" AFF on plywood
brackets and cleats, then store cabinetry and possibly a router table
underneath in their "garages," but move them around for project
convenience. My problem is that I have to design for the highest floor
spot, so a 36" counter would be almost 40" high nearest to the garage
door. Plus my rolling cabinets would look dopey with a larger gap to
the counter....

I'd also like to have the major machinery on rolling stands as well. I
guess I don't know if having a sloped floor will cause issues with the
table saw in/outfeed or general movement of heavy machinery. I would
hate to be using a jointer and have the thing decide it would rather
be in the neighbor's yard....

I guess I always have the option of building sloped sleepers and
covering the whole thing with 3/4" plywood (which would have other
benefits as well), but that's a bit extreme right now...

TIA,
- Matt