Dan_Musicant

Default Filling cracks in exposed gable rafter tail scarfs

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:40:06 GMT, "ameijers"
wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: I just had my house reroofed, and part of the work involved repairing
: various areas of dry rot. That included repairs to 3 of the gable
: rafters. It entailed cutting back the rafter tails and scarfing on (at
: about a 45 degree angle) about 2 feet of redwood 2x6 to form the new
: rafter tails. They seem to have done a good job (they used Gorilla Glue
: and did some toenailing for the joins), but they didn't fill the joins
: with glue and there's a lot of open cracks that are up to around 1/8
: inch wide. I want to fill those cracks and then prime and paint. I'm
: wondering what material to use to fill those cracks. Of course, I want
: the join to be very smooth and undetectable and after priming and
: painting I want them to continue to look great indefinitely. Can I get
: suggestions for what to use? Thanks!
:
:That epoxy filler stuff they sell for window sills and porch posts sounds
:about right. If the rafters don't get harsh temperature swings, you could
:also try Bondo- much more sandable than epoxy.
:
:aem sends...

Thanks. I have some of that epoxy sill stuff from 2-3 years ago when I
repaired 3-4 bad sills. I also have some Bondo or equivalent. The
temperatures around here are fairly moderate. Lows never get below the
upper 20's, and only go below around 30-32 maybe once a decade. It never
snows, for instance. High temperatures are also rather moderate. Days in
the 90's number in the single digits, on average. Over 100 would be a
once in 3-5 year event. Maybe I'll try the Bondo, but like I say, I have
both. Maybe I'll do the exposed parts (exposed to rain and sun) with
epoxy and the unexposed parts with Bondo.

Dan