George

Default bearing drag

"Ken Moon" wrote in message
.net...

"snakeriver" wrote in message
oups.com...
Okay I just went out to the lathe and detached the belt. I then turned
on the motor, nice and smooth and quiet, when I used the hand wheel to
spin the spindle it made a low hum or drag sound. I would still spin
but I'm quite sure thats where my new noise is coming from. So I guess
I really do need to know where to fingd replacement bearings. Mabey a
new belt too.

A lot of your better auto parts stores can help you with the bearing. They
may not have it in stock, but they should be able to measure it and cross
reference it to one of their vendors. That way you can get a better
quality than comes in most new products, especially the Asian ones.

Be sure to ask for the better grade, or they may think you're like a lot of
their customers - looking for cheap. Those who pick up HF or low-end clones
should consider the extra twenty bucks it might take to get good sealed
bearings as part of their original equipment investment.