Jerry

Default Source for veneer core cherry plywood

I too couldn't find decent 1/4" cherry ply in San Diego. Went up to
Cut and Dryed in Solona Beach and it was junk. I was also making
cabinet doors. Did not try TH&H or Frost because I didn't need a
whole sheet. Ended up using my PSA cherry ply veneer that is used on
the face frames on 1/4" birch ply and cutting the slots a tad bit wider
to fit the additional thickness. Works fine.

Carl wrote:
Starting a kitchen cabinet reface project (all cherry), doors will be tongue
and groove rail / stile with a 1/4" plywood panel. I didn't realize what a
problem it was going to be to find decent 1/4" plywood. Every local
supplier around here (San Diego) only carries imported MDF core junk. The
face veneer is so thin on that stuff I don't think it would ever hold up to
daily kitchen abuse. Plus it breaks really easily. I found one place in
San Diego (THH Hardwood) that said they could order 1/4" veneer core cherry
that was domestic, so I went for it. When I went to pickup the order the
plywood appeared to be MDF core, the face veneer was as thin as cheap toilet
paper - I refused it.

Has anyone had success using the mdf core stuff for cabinet doors? Any
suggestions for source for veneer core plywood in Southern California? I'm
willing to travel to get quality wood.

Thanks,

Carl