The Natural Philosopher

Default Clearing blocked toilet with caustic soda

Malcolm Stewart wrote:

Our site services used concentrated sulphuric acid, plus some chemical to
enhance the action. Can't remember the name for sure (but "Blockbuster"
comes to mind) but it sure was dangerous as the burns on one of the team
demonstrated.
The safety instructions will be the standard ones for caustic soda / sodium
hydroxide. Bear in mind that even weak caustic soda is very dangerous to
skin and eyes (full face visor recommended) and will make soap out of you in
short order - and you may not feel anything until it's too late.

It very bad for eyes.

I hace got loads on my skin, It burns and te skin tirns to soap. You
most certainly will feel it before its too late. Fortunately the
antidote is lots of clean fresh water.

My use o it is cabvalier, and considered dangerous by most of teh
pansies on this group.

I would in fact do the folwing.

Tip half the power or crytals int the loo, and follow up with a kettle
of boiling water, making sure that any splashes and hisses happen
inside. Best way to enbsure that is to slap a sheet of something like
polystyrene over the top of it all till the witches cauldron ceases.
Wipe up any splashes on anything with copious cold water.

Then have a cup of coffee.

Then come back and flush the loo.

If it even drains sklightly this caustc will generally clear it BUT.

If teh blocakge is clelluose material (paper or tampons) then sulphuric
acid may actually be a better bet.

Any household should have (tho not accessible by kids) a 5 litre
container of brick aciod (hydrochloric) drain cleaner (sulhuric) and a
few kg of caustic soda.

There is little ethat will survive attack by a series of chemicals like
that. Bricks glass abd sand beig the exception.

If it doesn't get round the u-bend, how do you expect it to work?
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Timothy Murphy wrote in message

My first-floor toilet is blocked, as far as I can see
just after the U-bend.

My local plumbers merchant gave me a jar of sodium hydroxide,
and told me this was as good as anything.
The label on the container warns me to follow the instructions carefully,
but unfortunately the instructions are missing.
Can I safely pour some down the toilet?
Do I have to ensure it will get round the U-bend?