Jonathan

Default Council tax and new ways..........

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Of course it takes time and patience to think beyond individual needs.
That is why the individual should be encouraged to do so rather than
the state doing his thinking for him.

This extrapolates very obviously into policing and crime as well. The
more that individuals are encouraged to take responsibility for
themselves in as many aspects as possible - i.e. they own the
consequences and the outcome - the less the need for the involvement
of the state and the money wasted on its mechanisms.

A point; when I was doing my "round the world" thing, I would often work in
hostels/backpackers when staying for any length of time, and almost without
exception, the people who left the most mess, who ignored the kitchens rules
about cleaning and putting away pans and stuff in the communal kitchens,
were the Chinese.
I hasten to add, it wasn't ALL Chinese doing it, but when it happened, it
was usually them.
And the reason was that "the state provides" - it's a mindset of dependancy
that says that outside your home, your life is micro-managed by big
government.
(These are the observances of other travellers who have spent time in China)