Andy Hall

Default Fernox or Sentinel?

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 12:37:08 -0000, "TheScullster"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote:

Thanks Andy

I've used both and had similarly good results.

Do you know whether these cleaners can actually redissolve this granular
type material?

I am pretty sure that the effect is minimal when there are large
amounts of material. At best, I suspect that it might dislodge some,
and that this is what is happening - i.e. travelling from A to B.

Then the problem is that it can tend to collect and block.

I've only ever used this stuff after a mechanical clean to do a final
cleanup.

The only drain on my system (concrete ground floors) is on a radiator return
pipe. So I am reliant on the debris "floating" out of the system.

Oh I see. You mean that the pipes come out of the floor?

In that case, I think that I would try to come up with a way to force
water through and out at each radiator valve.

If you have an open vent system, this is going to be tricky because
you can't get a lot of pressure.

A couple of ideas spring to mind (assuming you don't want to convert
to a sealed system):

- Rent a pressure flushing machine.

- Temporarily (note temporarily) fit valves to the feed pipe and vent
pipe in the loft. Fit a valve to hook up a hose at a convenient
point on the system (don't use the drain outlet because it will tend
to leak). Disconnect downstairs radiators one at a time and flush out
at each radiator valve. Obviously great care is needed to avoid
staining furnishings and floors.

Once you've done this and got a clean system, make sure that there is
no sucking down the vent pipe. THen use flushing agent for a while,
drain, flush with plain water and refill with inhibitor added.

You probably could continue a little at a time, but it will remain a
perennial PITA.

--

..andy