Matt

Default LED MR 11 lamps

Andy Dingley wrote:

You bought a Ring product. Just be grateful it didn't try to kill you.

Ditto!

In the early days of compact fluorescent's I bought a few of their
lamps, the first one I fitted worked for maybe 5 seconds and then
tripped the (6A) MCB. A short while later the lamp made a *very* loud
bang with the lamp base getting extremely hot to the point at which it
could hardly be touched a minute after the MCB had tripped. The
plastic distorted slightly and didn't melt but you could tell there
had been a huge amount of heat dissipated internally.

I'd bought them via Farnell's and found it quite strange that they
gave an immediate refund without question pending their later return.
A few weeks after returning them I got a phone call from Ring asking
for more details about the fault. This started off quite friendly but
went rapidly downhill then they mentioned they had found no
manufacturing defect and more or less blamed my installation for
causing the failure! - one that had previously worked perfectly with
an incandescent 60W for two decades. A Philips CF replacement worked
in there for another 5 more years.....and Farnell's stopped selling
Ring lamps.