John Cartmell

Default Council tax and new ways..........

In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
"John Cartmell" wrote in message
In article ,
Jonathan wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message
ups.com...
Isn't this the reason they got rid of rateable value and went to the
community charge, then council tax as the first was grossly unfair?

Yup, and no-one is able to tell me why the complex and unfair system we
have
now is better than the poll tax.

Anyone?

It's not the poll tax.

What's not the poll tax? I was just asking WHY people say the complex and
archaic rates system is better than the idea of poll tax.

Because it's not the Poll Tax! Thatcher poisoned that option and anything is
better.

Why? Does a single person living in a tiny house in the "right" area use 10
times as many amenities as a family of 5 in a council estate?
Again, no-one's been able to clearly explain that one to me either!

It has always been based on an assumed ability to pay derived from the
property value rather than amenity use. Everyone has appreciated that those
using most amenties - eg elderly, sick & those with children - aren't the ones
who can afford most. property values are a good option and redress the balance
a bit for those not paying enough income tax (by fiddling their income) but
living in big houses.