D Murphy

Default EDM cut rifle chamber, curiosity or the future?

"Ed Huntress" wrote in
:

Good to see you around. I wish you had stopped into amc, there is a
thread about Liquidmetal (amorphous metal, metal glass) that I'm
betting you

might
know a little bit about.

Historical information only. I wrote some news items and I think a
feature about it...in 1980. g

It's neat stuff. Strong like bull. Ductile. Extremely low magnetic
hysteresis.

There are some new developments. It used to be that it was only practical
to manufacture in thin films or thin cross sections. Now there are some new
alloys that can be molded like plastic or more accurately die cast at low
temp. It seems they can make a much larger part. One dimension has to stay
under 4 inches otherwise current capabilities can't control the cooling
properly and it turns into ordinary metal. It's claimed to be stronger and
lighter than tool steel.

--

Dan