mm

Default Water Heaters...

On 6 Nov 2005 07:48:19 -0800, "scale" wrote:

I know this has been asked 1000 times and i researched it a bit but
couldnt come up with any real useful opinions.

Im in the market for a new 40gal water heater and am looking for
opinions on brands.....what is good and what is not so good. I dont
want to break the bank but i dont want flooded basement in 5 years
either

Also.....has anyone used the drip pans that are put under water heaters
to control drip? Are they worth it?

I got myself one. I think it will be worth it.

Seems pointless but maybe im not
looking at it right. IF that sucker decides to go......it will overflow
that pan rendering it useless. IF installed properly the thing shouldnt
drip.

Huh?. It will just last forever?

What is it that fails when a water heater fails? If it's the heating
element, or perchance the thermostat, those you can replace. So after
you replace them, what will fail next. What is left?

I could see if you had a slow leak....they would be worth it because
you could control the leak. Any thoughts?

I think you have it backwards. The drip pans are bad when you have
slow leak, because unless you check the pan, you won't know you had
it. So you won't have any warning that the whole heater is about to
fail.

But when the leak gets substantial, that's whey they are good. Of
course you have to connect the pan to the sump or something.

Ill tell you i did find that it would appear that they dont make water
heaters like they used too. Most people i read about show failings
after 5 - 12 years with current water heaters. THe mongemery wards unit
i have in my basement is from 1978 and still working. I just want to
replace it before it goes...which cant be long at this point....shes
about 30 years old

I hear that most don't last that long, but we don't know that other
models like yours lasted as long as yours.

I am just looking and researching before i run to sears with my tail
between my legs and buy junk (if kenmore is a bad brand.....i dont
know...heh...thats my question)

I bought a sears because the distance between intake and output was
the same as my old one. It would have been easy to connect the new
one if I had been able to grind off the reverse-dimple inside the
connector.

I would like to spend 250 - 400. I plan to install it myself.

It was easy enough to put the HWH on the back of my LeBaron
convertible, take it home, use a hand truck to take it to the
basement, and even to connect it. The hard part was getting the old
HWH out of the basement, even with a girl helper.. Maybe I should
have cut it into pieces.

I would rather not get the extended service junk because it just doesnt
seem worth it on a unit such as a water heater (they fail....thats what

It's never worth insuring for a loss that you can afford to bear. Act
as a self insurer. That way you take the profit, and you can simulate
the overhead by getting a great sandwich and watching tv for lunch,
many times.

they do). IF you buy quality.....your unit should last up to or beyond
the warranty....correct?

I would suspect some good one's fail early. But by acting as your own
insurer, you are just as likely to make a profit on the policy as they
are. Once in a while you'll lose but the rest of the times you'll
win, and all told, you'll be ahead of the game. And there is no
hunting for all the papers, and no fighting with them about whether
you are covered or not.

ANy replies are appreciated

Thanks

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let