Tom Watson

Default A sad feeling...

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 20:30:08 -0500, Robatoy
wrote:

A few years ago, I sent out 20 copies of The Elements Of Style, as a
Christmas present, to friends of mine. Most were glad to receive it, a
few wanted to know "what-the-**** was wrong with their English"

It (S+W) would be the book that I would give to people.

I don't know about the Princeton sheet but will give it a look.

Stephen King had a nice little book a couple of years ago called, "On
Writing".

Say what you will about the man as a stylist, he has a deep
understanding of the act of writing and the idea of clarity of
expression (oh boy, that one will cost me).

He used Strunk and White in the courses that he taught when he was
teaching Business English, before his rise to multinational corporate
status.

S+W has a couple of things in its favor:

It is brief.

It is reasonably complete.

It is brief.

It would take a confirmed CMOS aficionado to determine if these are
two or three.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)