Jon Elson

Default Opinions on a used Atlas/Craftsman 12" lathe...

JonJonJon wrote:
Thank for the great info.

I'll see what he says about the prices you've quoted. Kinda suits me
'cause this is cheaper than the chinese machine anyways, but this one
is obviously stronger.

Correct me if I'm wrong, does the lever just above the gear change
levers reverse the lead screw to cut left hand threads? I've seen
another one of these on eBay and and inside look into the gears looks
like it has that capability (something the chinese machine doesn't
have, though I could build one)....

Yes. That is exactly what that tumbler handle does. The large black
ring on the right end of the QC box is the overload clutch. It is
designed to prevent crashing the carriage into something solid from
causing disasterous damage to the gear train. Most earlier machines
didn't have this feature.

Jon