michael

Default Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"michael" wrote in message
snip-----

Harold, why in the #### do you have a Last Word indicator? I got one
with a bunch of stuff once and found a sucker to take it. And I didn't
have to pay him!

Believe it or not, it makes a good indicator for removing taper when running
grinders. The design lends itself to use with a Starrett mag base----which
one uses--even when running a centerless. That doesn't make me feel much
better about having paid for that damned thing new, however. Other
indicators would also work, and for more things than that.

You'll have to forgive me for purchasing it. I was young-----18, and
foolish. Not old and wise, like I am now at age 66. No way in hell
could they pry money out of my pocket for one of those damned things these
days.

Hey, sucker, -----don't try blowing smoke up my skirt about measuring to
tenths with no damned caliper, and I don't care if it's a vernier, dial or
digi--------it ain't gonna happen, although, like you, when you're in a
corner, you do what you have to do. Try selling that measurement to a
Gov QC guy and see how far you get. The error just from misalignment will
be greater than a tenth or two, and I've yet to see one of those damned
crescent wrenches that was any closer than a thou, and even that's a
stretch.

Maybe in your day using that antique stuff. I have, indirectly, done
military/aerospace work when all I had to measure some features was my
dials and Jo blocks. Rejections? Zero. Of course, I have since expanded
my measuring capabilities. And, I'm talking +/-.0002. Not too big a
problem if one is careful.

Still busy?

Not as much. Do have 1200 of the steel parts going on as I type this.
Maybe some diver's rebreather components coming up soon.

michael