N. Thornton

Default "Pointing " mortar mix and method

(Lobster) wrote in message . com...

Nor me; however, doesn't the nature mortar mix depend on factors like
the age of the building, type of bricks, how it was built in the first
place etc? My understanding is that, for example, if you use too hard
a mix than was intended, and/or which is impervious to water, you're
likely to cause severe future damage, isn't that right?

If the mortar is stronger than the bricks, and the building is prone
to movement, as Victorians are, the weakest links break... the bricks.
Much better to have the mortar break, thats easy to fix. Vics
generally have very soft bricks, little foundation and no expansion
jonits, hence movement is routine.

I'm sure there arent a lot of Vic garages about, but I have seen them.

Regards, NT