Kyle Boatright

Default HELP! Contractor work caused HUGE Settlement Cracks and damage

"kitamaria" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just bought a house that was built in 1959 and is on a medium/mild
slope. Part of the inspection for the house purchase stated that the
foundation piers should be replaced to stop some movement of the house.
I hired a contractor to do this. When he finished I noticed HUGE
breaks and cracks in my kitchen and living room walls. It is
terrifying! They run all the way from the ceiling to half way down to
the ground and they are practically in EVERY corner. I am not sure
what to do now --the contractor has already been paid. Is this
something I should have expected or is this something he should/could
have avoided?

What's a huge crack? Are we talking floor to ceiling hairline cracks in
sheetrock? How wide are the cracks?

I would think replacing piers would involve jacking the house clear of
existing piers, tearing them out, installing new ones, then lowering the
house down to the new piers. I'd guess it would be done one pier at a time.

I think it would be hard to do this job without flexing the house enough to
crack some sheetrock seams.

On the other hand, I'd think the contractor should have warned of this risk
before accepting the job.

KB