Skype_man

Default Emerson TV/VCR : Worth the Trouble?

May be the stator. Sky.

"Chris F." wrote in message
This '91 model TV/VCR combo is driving me up the wall. After replacing
the
bad belts and idler tire, the unit appears to work nicely - then I notice
thin line of distortion in the tape playback. It's just above the center
of
the screen and runs all the way across - not snow, just distortion (almost
like pixellation). I've ruled out head alignment, dirty heads,
backtension,
and tracking problems. At this point I suspect some capacitors are up in
ESR, which isn't good because I don't have an ESR meter. I'm willing to
try
replacing a few caps at random, but there are too many to just guess on -
anybody know of any specific caps to try?
This thing is hardly worth repairing when you consider I'll only make
about $30 profit from it, if it will even sell. But at the same time I
hate
to junk it because $30 is well, $30. That's how bad business is these
days.
So bad I can't even justify buying an ESR meter, because it would
literally
take months (if not years) to pay for itself.
Thanks for any advice.