CJT

Default ethernet card

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

In article , CJT wrote:

You sure about that? My recollection is that Gigabit uses all 8.

I'll check, I've don't think so, but occasionaly I'm wrong. :-)

I Google'd for it, and this is the first reference I found. But I'm
fairly certain I've read it elsewhere, too, including in a textbook
on networking:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/231/2

Not sure what you mean by that. The electronics can't tell whether you
(consistently) swap the white+color and color, as long as you keep the
pairings intact. But they will certainly balk at mixing a wire from one
pair with a wire from another pair.

Yes, that's true.

If by "direction" you mean X vs II, then it's probably a switch.
Or do you mean duplex?

All 10/100 hubs are by switches. How else could they adjust the speed?

Not so. They can adjust the speed just as a switch does. The main
difference is that a hub lacks the logic to be selective about where
it forwards packets, and as a result doesn't need to maintain tables
of MAC addresses.

Geoff.