DogP

Default 50" Mitsubishi Rear Projection Help

Sorry guys, this is in a Wave Runner arcade game, and it's missing the
back panel where the model number should be :-( . I have a Top Skater
with a similar monitor (model P502SG), but it's definately not the same
chassis. I have pics of the chassis he
http://dogp.home.comcast.net/waverunner/DSCF0671.JPG and
http://dogp.home.comcast.net/waverunner/DSCF0672.JPG .

The only numbers I can find are PB7539 (on the
Power Supply) and PB7538 (on the HV/Deflection board). It says it was
manufactured in 1998 and it's a medium resolution (24KHz RGB) monitor
only (no TV
tuner). If there's any place I can buy a service manual or schematic,
that'd be great, but I'd assume that I need the model of the actual
monitor, not just those boards.

I did check the voltages at all of the test points (that I saw) on the
power supply and they all tested good, and with the shorted
transistors, the B+ would climb up to only about 60V. With the shorted
transistors, I did hear HV for the couple of seconds that it stayed on
though, so I think that the flyback is good (and I don't see any
obvious signs of damage).

So you would suspect something in the H-Drive circuit? What is a
typical failure with something like this? Is there usually an IC that
goes bad, a transformer that opens/shorts, a resistor that opens, a
single transistor that shorts, or any of the above / something else?
Are they usually large components that cause it, or is there a small
signal section that could cause it? As far as I know, I've tested all
large transistors, resistors, and diodes. I haven't checked every
inductor or transformer yet.

Should I just trace back between the two large transistors and see what
is common with the two and suspect those components? Would that be a
reasonable way of troubleshooting this? Or do you have any other
suggestions, or diagrams of a circuit similar to this so I can get an
idea of what to expect?

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate the help.

Pat