Leo Lichtman

Default belt problem ..dont laff

"Graeme " wrote: (clip) iv already worn out 1 belt in about a month ,,,,,
does anyone know how to slow the wearing prosses on the belt ???
^^^^^^^^^^^^
My experience with that type of drive was on a Jet 1236, which is probably
similar. That type of drive is prone to slipping, since the belt tension is
provided by a spring, trying to close one of the variable pulleys. When you
get a catch, the lathe stops, which is good for safety, expecially for a
beginner, but very hard on the belt. The spinning pulley against the
stationary belt can cause it to heat up very quickly, and weaken it. The
belt is likely to breat at that spot sometime later (like a week or two.)

I suggest that you replace the belt with a link belt. This will cost a
little more, but it has several advantages.
1.) If the belt breaks due to local damage, you can replace a few links,
instead of the whole belt, saving money.
2.) The belts seem to last longer than regular belts.
3.) On some lathes, replacing the belt involves disassembly. A link belt
can be replaced without disassembly.
4.) On a variable drive such as yours, the exact length of the belt affects
the speed range. With a link belt, you can fine-tune this in increments of
1/2". And, you don't have to buy a different belt for each try.

I suggest you buy an extra foot or so of link belt, and keep it on hand for
the next repair. Hope this helps.