michael

Default Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers??

jim rozen wrote:
In article , michael says...

I was thinking the same thing. I've had occasion to get some tools at 2
different estate sales. I don't recall tit for tat, but the value I got
was excellent. At one I got, among other things, a small Kennedy chest
with the 2-drawer under it. Inside the boxes were several types of
Starrett mics, ID, OD, depth. They all had the original cert of accuracy
with them and there were absolutely no chips in any of the drawers. I
also got several things that don't always make it on the need to buy
list, but are needed and/or wanted.

Well that was a score.

The sad part about sales like that is, they often mean
a toolmaker has died and their estate is selling off
his stuff.

Sometimes it is just the guy himself deciding he's
getting out of the business and is tired of looking
at his tooling.

Part of the deal here is that you have to stay and
listen to the stories and ask pertinent questions.
I've found this is not too onerous a responsibility.

Jim

Both were sales where a family friend was helping the widow, one of the
deceased was indeed a toolmaker. I have occasion to pause and reflect on
the former owners when I pick up one of these tools to use. And you're
right, the stories are not a big problem to deal with. I have a couple
to share usually also. I know I would like to think that another skilled
person makes use of my tools when I no longer can. Or maybe better, an
unskilled person on the way up.

michael