Andy Dingley

Default LED MR 11 lamps

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:21:42 +0000, Derek ^
wrote:

It is *absolutely impossible*
to replace a bulb with the fitting in the top of the units without
either bending the pins or touching the quartz.

So touch the quartz. This is a much over-rated risk these days (so long
as it's not a microsocope lamp or something that really does run hot).
If you wash your hands first, it always was an over-rated risk.

So I went to "Ring" lighting

Always a mistake.

I then noticed that LED MR11 lamps are available, less than 2 watts so
not a fire hazard. £7.50 each,

I've disappointed in all the LED MR11 lamps I've used so far. Just about
the only thing I would consider using them for would be display cabinet
lighting - as room lighting they're dismal. Be careful though that
their output angle is suitable - most of them gain their high brightness
values by having a narrow output.

the special electronic transformers needed are £14.99 each. That's taking the Mick.

I've not seen an LED MR11 that wasn't compatible with "typical" 12V low
voltage lighting transformers (although most are DC only). They didn't
need anything special, although some PSUs can be unhappy because the
power demanded is too _low_ (they see this as not having any bulbs
connected)

Surely 12 volts, 2 watts to drive 6 LEDs, an ordinary regulated mains
adapter would fit the bill or am I missing something here? Apparently
the LED lamps *are* AC/DC.

Volts is volts. If you know what they need, and you can arrange
something to supply it, then go to it,

Oh, and BTW the electronic transformer that came with the RING
lighting kit is duff. :-((

You bought a Ring product. Just be grateful it didn't try to kill you.