Derek ^

Default LED MR 11 lamps

Some imported dining room furniture we've got came equipped with top
lighting in 4 display cabinets. The electronic transformers have all
quit and the lamp fitting itself takes a 10w capsule bulb mounted
sideways on in a very shallow fitting. It is *absolutely impossible*
to replace a bulb with the fitting in the top of the units without
either bending the pins or touching the quartz. If you do bend the
pins IME the bulb will have a short life even if it works initially.

So I went to "Ring" lighting and came away with a set of 20 watt MR11
downlighters @ 3 for 8 quid in their discontinued section.

On reading the bit of paper that came packed inside it says they
should not be mounted on a combustible surface. The display cabinets
are made of wood. :-(

I then noticed that LED MR11 lamps are available, less than 2 watts so
not a fire hazard. £7.50 each, (I could live with that if I never had
to change one again!) but on the websites that sell them they say
ordinary transformers can't be used, the special electronic
transformers needed are £14.99 each. That's taking the Mick.

Surely 12 volts, 2 watts to drive 6 LEDs, an ordinary regulated mains
adapter would fit the bill or am I missing something here? Apparently
the LED lamps *are* AC/DC.

Oh, and BTW the electronic transformer that came with the RING
lighting kit is duff. :-((

DG