zero

Default Construction Contractor Question

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 06:26:06 -0500, "Lost in Translation"
wrote:

I'm hoping someone here can give me a general idea of what I am looking for.

I need to perform some major home repairs, such as replace roof, decks,
driveways, some windows, etc - not a small task. What I want to do is be
able to hire out sub-contractors to do each phase of the work I need to have
done. I will need to be able to work between contractors and my insurance
company who will be footing the bill for major repairs. Many companies
don't want to work with the insurance and wait for their money, and one
roofing company has suggested I act as my own contractor to pay out funds
needed for repairs to begin and then collect them from the insurance company
as we go. (The insurance company and mortgage company have agreed to escrow
the funds and pay them out as verified invoices against repairs are
received).

So, here we go:

Can I act as my own contractor?
Do I need a special license of any kind to be my own contractor?

I am in the state of Florida, Broward county if that helps.

This is from Chapter 489, however Broward County will have the final
say-so.
Go here then scroll down to (_489.103 Exemptions_) then look for
subsection (7). Read it and the (_Disclosure Statement_). This sums up
your limitations.

http://www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ind...489/ch0489.htm

Note that you can not sell for at least a year.

There are a lot of ways to get screwed if you go this route. (subs not
paying their bills for equipment, etc.) You are responsable for
everything $$$ in most all of these instances. Good luck.

-zero