scale

Default Water Heaters...

I know this has been asked 1000 times and i researched it a bit but
couldnt come up with any real useful opinions.

Im in the market for a new 40gal water heater and am looking for
opinions on brands.....what is good and what is not so good. I dont
want to break the bank but i dont want flooded basement in 5 years
either

Also.....has anyone used the drip pans that are put under water heaters
to control drip? Are they worth it? Seems pointless but maybe im not
looking at it right. IF that sucker decides to go......it will overflow
that pan rendering it useless. IF installed properly the thing shouldnt
drip.

I could see if you had a slow leak....they would be worth it because
you could control the leak. Any thoughts?

Ill tell you i did find that it would appear that they dont make water
heaters like they used too. Most people i read about show failings
after 5 - 12 years with current water heaters. THe mongemery wards unit
i have in my basement is from 1978 and still working. I just want to
replace it before it goes...which cant be long at this point....shes
about 30 years old

I am just looking and researching before i run to sears with my tail
between my legs and buy junk (if kenmore is a bad brand.....i dont
know...heh...thats my question)

I would like to spend 250 - 400. I plan to install it myself.

I would rather not get the extended service junk because it just doesnt
seem worth it on a unit such as a water heater (they fail....thats what
they do). IF you buy quality.....your unit should last up to or beyond
the warranty....correct?

ANy replies are appreciated

Thanks