Sacramento Dave

Default Construction Contractor Question

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Hire a general contractor if you just want the work done and do not want
the problems of management. You need no lisence where I am. But its then
your responsibility of knowing the job is right. Get a permit and don`t
pay any sub till it is inspected by the city, be sure you talk to their
insurance agent for proof of workers comp and liability insurance,
seeing a certificate is not good as the cert can easily be altered. Get
a release of lien from all workers. If its all insurance money hire a
general but don`t partial pay till you talk to the inspector on each
job. Workers that are not paid by their boss, and supliers can come back
at you if the contractor does not pay. Injuries and house damage can
sometimes be your responsibility, protect yourself, its not easy or fun
sometimes. Ive had contractors and workers fake injuries and certs and
do substandard work, there are alot of crooks out there.

That's good advise. I will add For one your not a contractor, you have
no experience in coordinating the work, Your assuming Responsibility for no
reason, Your will be responsible for workers Pay if sub doesn't pay them,
There also would possibly be situation were your liable for workman's comp
and liability. As the owner you can oversee the work and believe me you
should. You also will have the insurance Co. on your side if there is a
problem , they have a legal department with the experience. I don't know why
you would want to be the Contractor, could it be you want to make a little
money on the deal? You got freebee as it is, sure it's going to be an
inconvenience, There's plenty of Contractors that want the work and can do
the Job ( I sure there all pretty busy now) Take the easy road. When I was
Contracting an the owner started talking about doing some of the work my
price went up not down.