Bill

Default Hot tub electiral problem.

Well a GFI breaker is doing two things...
It is looking for a "leak" to ground.
And it is looking at the total amperage used.

And I think the heating element on a hot tub will not be turned on unless
there is water flowing?

So could be drawing too much amperage. Or breaker could be bad. Or something
could be leaking to ground, but only when pump is running.

Does not make sense that a new pump would be leaking to ground, so I would
think that something else is the problem.

May want to try disconnecting the heating element and see what happens.

Next might try disconnecting water flow switch which would also keep the
heating element from working (so far as I know about these things).

But then, if disconnecting the heating element or flow switch stops the
breaker from tripping, is it because the heating element was drawing too
much amperage or because it was leaking to ground, or because associated
wiring was leaking to ground?

I suppose a wire could be wet somewhere and leaking to ground. Look for any
dampness. (Disconnect electricity first of course before poking around).

Ultimately I guess you would need an ampmeter and or a volt/ohm meter, or
replace parts until problem is solved, or try replacing GFI if nothing else
worked. But all of these are expensive, so may just want to call a repair
company...

"jr" wrote in message
I have a Sundance Cameo hot tub 1997 model and have an electrical
problem. The small circulation pump started to trip the GFI main
breaker. With the pump disconnected the breaker works fine and dosn't
trip. So I replaced the pump with a new one the exact same model pump
with same ratings and it still trips the breaker after about 15 to 30
seconds? I can trouble shoot and repair electrical systems but have no
information on the Sundance tub other then a small block diagram inside
the main electrical box. I'm at a loss as what to try next and would
appreciate any help if someone out there knows about Sundance hot tubs.
Mine has a model 850 main control board.

Thank You