John

Default Norm

Greg G. wrote:
George said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
. ..

robo hippy said:

I just caught the end of Norm Abrams show, and nest week he is going to
do Lathe 101. This might be interesting. I did watch him work spindles
down for a windsor chair with a rasp. If I am not in the middle of a
football game, I may watch it.
robo hippy

I've seen it - was looking forward to it, but it wasn't all that
great. Didn't cover anything but basic spindle turning, from what I
recall. I have it somewhere around here on CD...
All Norm's are on a CD around here somewhere...
He ain't that great a furniture maker, but an affable guy.

If the sponsor had _REALLY_ wanted to sell lathes this Christmas,
they'd have show some of the more interesting facets of woodturning.

What a difference between he and Roy. Roy cuts everything, while Norm's
still more of a scraper. I'm sure the sound men have something to do with
it, but that Pittman-powered, bearingless lathe of Roy's makes a lot less
noise than Norm's. You can hear Norm scratching the surface, but not a
sound from Roy.

Norm is still not comfortable with a lathe, I don't believe.
And it IS a Delta... ;-)

And I haven't seen enough of Roy to notice a difference - in fact,
I've never seen him turn anything. I think the last episode I saw was
him sitting in the floor, whacking at a board with a chisel and saw to
make a hinged section... He called it making pliers.
I've managed to catch about 2 episodes. Stupid cable/PBS.

Greg G.

Here yesterday they showed the episode with the large two pedestal dining

room table. They showed portions of turning the column for one of the
pedestals. It sure looked to me like he was cutting - not scraping.
John