Greg G.

Default Norm

George said:

"Greg G." wrote in message
.. .
robo hippy said:

I just caught the end of Norm Abrams show, and nest week he is going to
do Lathe 101. This might be interesting. I did watch him work spindles
down for a windsor chair with a rasp. If I am not in the middle of a
football game, I may watch it.
robo hippy

I've seen it - was looking forward to it, but it wasn't all that
great. Didn't cover anything but basic spindle turning, from what I
recall. I have it somewhere around here on CD...
All Norm's are on a CD around here somewhere...
He ain't that great a furniture maker, but an affable guy.

If the sponsor had _REALLY_ wanted to sell lathes this Christmas,
they'd have show some of the more interesting facets of woodturning.

What a difference between he and Roy. Roy cuts everything, while Norm's
still more of a scraper. I'm sure the sound men have something to do with
it, but that Pittman-powered, bearingless lathe of Roy's makes a lot less
noise than Norm's. You can hear Norm scratching the surface, but not a
sound from Roy.

Norm is still not comfortable with a lathe, I don't believe.
And it IS a Delta... ;-)

And I haven't seen enough of Roy to notice a difference - in fact,
I've never seen him turn anything. I think the last episode I saw was
him sitting in the floor, whacking at a board with a chisel and saw to
make a hinged section... He called it making pliers.
I've managed to catch about 2 episodes. Stupid cable/PBS.

Greg G.