Leon

Default Owners of the Rikon 18" Bandsaw

"panofish" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am impressed with the design of the Rikon... wish I still had a
chance to consider one, but I already have the Jet 18" and I very
satisfied. I think the Rikon is currently the best choice for a
bandsaw.

I'll be buying sight unseen. Apparently the local Woodcraft is selling them
faster than the time it takes to set one up for dispaly. I did get a good
look at the 14"er though and was impressed that fit and finish and features
were the best I have seen. I do have 3 major Jet tools and am extremely
happy with them but the Rikon gets my vote this time.

In my opinion, the choice of blade is as important as the bandsaw
itself. Sure a cheap blade will work, but I am much happier with the
quieter, smoother, buttery operation of a quality blade. I'm sure
there are many quality blades available, but I am happy with PS WOOD /
timberwolf blades, so I haven't tried many others. They work well at
low tension and have milled teeth and the thinner blades can make turns
like a scrollsaw. Make sure whatever you choose has milled teeth... I
think that makes all the difference.

http://www.pswood.com/home.php?cat=47

Thank you for the info Alan Lilly. I was hoping to use the blade that comes
with it, providing one does, to cut fire wood to length for my smoker. Not
a lot of need for a quality blade in that instance. Besides that, I had
planned on buying Timberwolf for the wood that I don't plan to burn. ;~)