Stuart Noble

Default Internal Door ?s

Rob Morley wrote:
In article ,
says...

KJR wrote:

Looking for some advice re internal doors.

I want to get some internal doors, 8 glass pane type which I will
paint white.

I can get one from Homebase, £45, in pine. Or I can get a hardwood
door, from any number of independant firms, for £200 + fitting.

Anyone care to explain the properties of a hardwood door which make it
4x better than a knotty pine door ?

TIA,

KJR

There's no guarantee that any wooden door won't shrink, hardwood or
softwood.
As you're painting, I'd go for the pine, but I'd also get them supplied
and fitted by a door shop. That way you get a chippy who does nothing
but fit doors all day. I wouldn't recommend d-i-y or, for that matter, a
chippy who hangs the *occasional* door.

Hanging an internal door is a piece of **** for a moderately competent
DIYer.

Including the hardware, I'd say a bit beyond that. In fact I'd say the
average DIYer wouldn't be able to sharpen a chisel for a start.