Ian White

Default Enlarging a round hole

Lobster wrote:
Martin wrote:

I'm fitting an extractor fan in our kitchen and have a little problem
with the hole it will extract through. To make the hole I hired a diamond
core cutting tool from HSS and used the largest bit about 6". Having bought
the extractor and sleeve the hole needs to be slightly bigger to accommodate
the sleeve. Any advise on how I can neatly increase the size of the hole.
For example is there such a drill bit that effetely files the brick away.

(Effetely? Absolutely nothing more brutal than a nail-file, dear.)

Use a scutch chisel with hammer, to gently and neatly nibble away the
required brickwork. Wonderful tools.

If you have an SDS drill, a toothed chisel would probably do it - though
it's obviously less gentle than a hand tool. In the longer term, it will
also be useful for chasing slots, sinking boxes and removing whole
bricks.

--
Ian White