Don Klipstein

Default LED light bulbs - temperature sensivity

In article , Clive Mitchell wrote:
In message ich.edu,
Daniel J. Stern writes
Eh? Come again? How does the plane crash relate to the LED
retrofitment?

The lamp in the toilet blew, and when the pilot went to find a torch the
plane crashed.

Probably.

(I'm guessing it was probably a runway light that failed.)

The famous plane crash into the Everglades made the newspapers as being
blamed on a different cause:

A few medical type oxygen generators were in the cargo hold, and at
least one was actually running.
I forget whether due to malfunction or normal operation, but for either
of these reasons some part or parts of one of the oxygen generators
reached a temperature on the low end of being able to cause adjacent
combustible materials to catch fire, and that started a fire in the cargo
hold.

---------------

Runways have so many lights that I surely doubt failure of one or even a
few of them or even half of them could make a plane crash. For that
matter, jetliners have instruments that can guide them onto runways, good
enough for any weather short of bad gale force crosswinds, downbursts,
especially dense fog or blizzards or icing of the runway or height of a
full-blown thunderstorm.
(Planes do get scheduled to land at Orlando around 3 or 3:15 PM in
Orlando in the summer, peak time of day and year in the "thunderstorm
capital" of the USA, and how often do we hear news of plane crashes
there?)

- Don Klipstein )