Mike Pio

Default Delta dust collector

"Jimmy" wrote in message
I'm thinking about buying a Delta dust collector model 50-760 (
http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=136&p=5815 ) and wanted some
advice about it or others. Is it a good one for the money ( $159 plus a
$30 rebate ) ?

I don't have this dust collector, but I have a similar one (50-850).
Basically, I find it to do its job well. I have 5 machines and an utility
port connected to it in a dust collection system:

- 3 hp table saw
- 8" jointer
- 13" planer
- 3 hp shaper
- 12" chop saw
- 10" radial arm saw
- 3" utility port

Each port has a blast gate. Depending on the tool(s) being used, only 1-2
can be kept open at a time. On stock milling days -- which requires heavy
use of the jointer and planer -- I usually open just one gate at a time to
prevent clogging (which does happen from time to time). But I have gotten
away with keeping either the jointer or the planer at full and the table saw
half open. Keeping two "large tool" gates open simultaneously just isn't
worth the trouble clearing chip jams.

The collector itself seems to have plenty of suction for a small shop, which
I think was its intended design. However, milling stock quickly fills up
the bag with chips and I find it needs to be emptied sometimes 2-3 times a
day on stock prep days. As you might imagine, the jointer and planer are
the biggest culprits, followed by the shaper then table saw.

You could use it without hearing protection, but I find it less annoying to
wear ear muffs during prolonged use. When prepping stock, I always wear
muffs because the combination of jointer, planer and dust collector is
enough to drive me batty. For short stints, however, it's not that loud
(you can talk over it without screaming).

If you have a small shop, I would recommend this size collector. I can't
compare mine to others or comment on the specific collector you asked about,
but I personally thought the prices for them are good. I got mine from
Amazon for about $245.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more specific questions.

-m