mm

Default Ant hills

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 21:46:02 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote:

mm wrote:

If it's fire ants, Amdro works great.

I actually haven't seen the ants yet. Don't know what they are.
There's not a lot of traffic, but maybe I haven't looked closely
enough. (Found another hill on my property in the back yard but
pretty far from the house.)

The easiest way to tell what kind of ants they are is to step on the mound for a
moment. If ants start swarming out by the hundreds, it's probably fire ants.
If you're not sure, just keep standing on the mound.

I've stepped on all three at various times because they're in my way.
AFAICT, nothing is coming out of them. If there was a hole in the
top, it hasn't been redug.

It's too early for cold weather to have slowed them down, isn't it.
It hasn't been below 60 during the day, I think. Certainly not below
50.

Do they have fire ants in Baltimore? I thought they were like in
Arizona.

I haven't made it to the garden shop yet., but the hills aren't
getting bigger.

And I'm considering Norminnn's laissez faire policy. I figured there
would be another side.

(My roommate did his thesis on leaf cutter ants in Costa Rica. They
were interesting. And I got bit by one or two ants that live in
thorns there. Not rose thorns, something else, longer more woody
thorns, with a hole in the base of each one that the ants use to go in
and out. One or two hurts a bit, but some people get hundreds and
that's really bad.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.