Default Replacing Sink Sprayer

I have what is going to seem like a silly question, but I seem to be
handicapped when it comes to stuff like this. Just ask my wife!

I need to replace our sink sprayer. After removing the top of the
sprayer, I see that there is little ring clip holding the base of the
sprayer to the hose. I need to remove that ring clip to get the old
base off of the hose but I can't figure out how to get the clip off.
It's not like some ring clips I've seen that have tiny holes in the
ends that you can spread open with needle-nose pliers.

Any thoughts? I already tried prying it out with a knife and nearly
stabbed myself through the hand. ;-)

What is the trick for removing those ring clips?

Thanks!
John