amcwill417

Default Problem for 15 year old 32" TV

"amcwill417" wrote in message
Sony CRT TV. Audio OK. If the set is turned on all is normal for a

minute
or so. Then the picture is gone and screen fills with uniform

illumination
plus about 20 or so fine horizontal lines slightly tilted up on the right.
After a few more seconds the screen gradually gets very bright white and,
wham, the set clicks off by itself. If I turn the set on again it

repeats.
Anyone have a clue as to what is wrong?

Alex

11/5/2005
Thank you all for your replies which I will certainly take into
consideration when I attempt to do repairs. This will be the third time I
have had to repair this TV. The first time (about 10 years ago) the set
behaved erratically when subject to vibration. After much poking around
(with a long plastic rod) I found out that some components on the circuit
boards were loose. Amost all of the small voltage regulators (about half
the size of small postage stamps) were loose so I resoldered all I could
find and that fixed it. The second time I could not locate the problem but
resoldered all the solder joints (which looked very good) on the HV
transformer board and by pure luck that fixed it. This third time may be
more challenging! I will keep you informed but it will take some time -
maybe a few weeks because of other duties.

Alex