mac davis

Default Would this be a mistake

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 18:30:31 GMT, (Chuck) wrote:

On 5 Nov 2005 06:12:15 -0800,
wrote:

I'm thinking about getting into turning - just small stuff, pens,
ornaments, wine stoppers, etc. Would it be a mistake to get a Penn
State midi lathe like this

Stave,

Don't muck about with "I wonder if..." equipment, spend a few extra
bucks and get a "tried and true" piece, like the Jet. There was an
informal survey here a few months ago, and Jet came out on top, hands
down, by an overwhelming majority.

Glad that YOU said that, Chaz..
I was ordering a (gasp) captive ring chisel from the Penn State just yesterday
and noticed that their "pen/penn lathe" or whatever looked a LOT like a Jet Mini
knock off...
Another advantage (for me, at least) of Jet is that all the stuff that I bought
for the mini works on the 14" Jet... same spindle size, etc...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing