Robert Swinney

Default Magnetic Indicator Stands

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
Are some of these heavier than others? I want one that absolutely won't
fall over... You can't keep the darned magnet turned on all the time...
unless maybe I should try turning the magnet half on???

Stability has nothing to do with weight (or, more precisely, mass). It has
to do with the center of mass (center of gravity) of an object, and the
forces acting upon it. So a very wide and short, lightweight indicator
stand base will be less prone to tipping over (i.e., more stable) than a
very heavy base that is tall and narrow.

However most mag bases have fairly similar, proportional dimensions
(roughly a square cube). So what you want for max stability is a base that
is dimensionally larger, thus concentrating more mass in the base than in
the arms. Lighter weight arms (e.g., aluminum) will also help to keep the
center of mass low.

Of course, if the arms are extended outward, they will increase the
tipping moment acting on the base, and if they are extended upward, they
will raise the center of mass (thus reducing stability). This negative
effect will increase with increasing mass of the item (e.g., indicator)
being held by the arm.

I'm curious though: why *can't* you keep the "darned magnet turned on all
the time" (except when moving/repositioning the base, of course)? It's not
as if the magnet will wear out or lose strength. You suggested turning the
magnet half-on, so it appears as if you are still placing it on a magnetic
surface. Perhaps you'll find the answer you're seeking if you were to
explain the actual problem that you're having.

- Michael