Bill Schwab

Default Magnetic Indicator Stands

DeepDiver wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...

Are some of these heavier than others? I want one that absolutely won't
fall over... You can't keep the darned magnet turned on all the time...
unless maybe I should try turning the magnet half on???

Stability has nothing to do with weight (or, more precisely, mass). It has
to do with the center of mass (center of gravity) of an object, and the
forces acting upon it. So a very wide and short, lightweight indicator stand
base will be less prone to tipping over (i.e., more stable) than a very
heavy base that is tall and narrow.

True by the strict definition, but if "stability" is being used in a
more generic sense, then stiffness will be a factor, and the amount of
material involved will make a difference.

In fact, I doubt stability is a design criterion, otherwise, they
wouldn't need the magnet to hold it in place.

However most mag bases have fairly similar, proportional dimensions (roughly
a square cube). So what you want for max stability is a base that is
dimensionally larger, thus concentrating more mass in the base than in the
arms. Lighter weight arms (e.g., aluminum) will also help to keep the center
of mass low.

That and one that is well made with good materials so that parts tighten
well, hold position, etc. To do a good job, a magnetic base and arm
needs to be a relatively rigid structure.

Ultimately, we probably are in agreement. I suspect the problem is not
that there is not enough metal, but that the offending item is poorly made.

Bill