Dave Plowman (News)

Default Using Central heating WITHOUT fernox inhibitor

In article .com,
Aidan wrote:
That depends on the water in your area. I have seen rads in London last
5 years without inhibitor, and rads still fine after 26 years in
sof****er areas.

Please explain the chemistry behind this statement.

It is easy. Drivel installed the rads in London and used a supersize
bucket of active flux. He was called back repeatedly, but they'd all
failed within 5 years.

The 26 year old rads were installed by someone competent when Drivel
was a lad and are still fine.

Drivel thinks it must have been the water. That clear it up?

;-)

My brother lives in a soft water area - Aberdeen - and has had many of his
rads replaced through corrosion. BG service contract and no inhibitor.
I'm in London and my system is older - with Thermapanel rads which some
say aren't too robust corrosion wise - but no problems at all in 30 years.
Inhibitor changed about every 5 years - and on draining down the water
looks reasonably ok. Certainly not black. And this with an open vented
system.

--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.