mm

Default Small Engine Ignition Module

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 15:59:06 -0600, "LoneStar"
wrote:

Have you tried using a spark plug as a tester? Unscrew it from the
negine, connect it back to the wire, and have someone hold the metal
threaded part against the block, or use a wire with aligator clips on
each end.

IIUC, it's harder for the spark to jump the gap when the gas in the
cylinder is compressed, but not that much harder.

I don't trust your tester. How much did it cost, and what is the
essence of it,. I have an incredibly cheap one, with a flashlight
bulb or neon light in it, I forget. I think a test with the spark
plug is a better test.

I have 7 broken mowers this year, and two seem to need magneto coils.
But I'm not sure. When I had no mower, I would have eagerly spent the
money, but 2 or the 5 now work. Still, I can't throw the others away,
even though the original owners did. (They look new)

(I've given two to a repairman nearby.)

mm...........

Yes, I have used several spark plugs to test the module -- and thanks for
mentioning it. There is no bright spark at all when grounding the bottom of
the plug (sometimes I get a faint flash). The spark plug tester cost me
over $18, but as you say it is not as good as the plug method. After all

That must be a lot better than mine, which cost iirc one dollar!

One of my chores for today is to connect it to a known working mower
and see if it lights up. If that doesn't work, I'll try it again
after dark and see if it lights up then.

the helpful responses I'm convinced it's the ignition module. In fact, I've
paid for and ordered it, and I can't get my money back if it's NOT the
problem. But it can be nothing else!

That's the way I feel about those two mowers, but I've run out of time
this summer. Another chore today is to make shelves for the mowers
and stack them up in two piles of two and one pile of one. I'm not
making a shelf so much as putting a 4x2 foot sheet of t1-11 on top of
one, and then balancing the other on top of that. I had one last
winter covered with plastic and a board, and it was clean as new when
spring came.

Thank you all!!
EW
Note: I've removed my original messages from the Gmail newsgroup, since
Gmail insisted on using my email address as my "nickname." Grrrrrrrr......
Here comes the SPAM!

Donm't know much about gmail. or biology or geometry.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.