Joseph Meehan

Default Big jump in electric bill

Art wrote:
Here's the situation. I live in a house that normally has about a
$180-200 a month electric bill during the summer heat. In September,
when we shut off the air, it dropped to about $130. October's bill
came and it was $242! Called the elctric company and they verified
that yes, we had used that many kwh. After discussing it the only
thing the wife and me could figure out is I was on the road alot
during September so the wife had less laundry and dishes to do. She
also ate out more (electric range).
Here's my question. Can the increase in hot water cause a jump this
drastic? Also, our ice-maker in the fridge is making a funny sound (a
whirring motor sound) alot. Could a malfunctioning ice-maker cause
the jump?

If it's the hot water heater we are willing to get a new gas one (our
house is fitted for both gas and electric). Gas is cheaper than
electric in our area right now. But we don't want to get a new
heater if it's something else causing the jump.

Any opinions are welcome.

Art
"This is the earliest I've ever been late by." - Yogi Berra

There are a number of possible problems. I agree that the ice maker
heaters could have caused an increase. They would not only consume energy,
but cause the fridge to run more often. Water heater is less likely IMO.

I would also suggest another possibility. First you want to make sure
what time period the billing really covers. Reading to reading. You also
need to find out if they really read the meter each month, many estimate
between reads. Also a miss read one period will cause an offsetting
correction the next reading period. You next reading may be lower than
expected or the preceding period may have been lower than it should have
been and that was made up on the next reading.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit