Ron(UK)

Default 50 hz timer motor

Asimov wrote:
"Ken Weitzel" bravely wrote to "All" (05 Nov 05 03:08:49)
--- on the heady topic of " 50 hz timer motor"

KW From: Ken Weitzel
KW Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.repair:347585

KW wrote:

I just verified that the inner cam and the outer cam do not revovle
together all the time. It takes a number of revolutions of the inner
cam to move the outer cam a knob forward.

Separately, if the machine is designed to take in cold water and heat
it up internally and the timer motor is expecting feed back signal from
it, would it have caused the problem if the water hose inlet was taking
in hot water directly since we generally have separate hot and cold
water inlets in the US? But there should be a sensor inside the
machine to detect water temperature anyway...

Esther

KW Hi...

KW I wonder if it's not as simple as asking too much of that poor little
KW hy-sync motor?

KW We know that they'll sync perfectly to 49 or 51 cycles, but is it
KW possible that showing it 60 cycles it ends up "syncing" at some
KW multiple?
[,,,]

Ken,

You may be onto something here. The problem might be that the motor is
*not* syncing at all but instead is behaving as a simple ac motor.
Perhaps this is due to the number of pole pieces which can't match up
at 60 Hertz with the design rpm. Basically the rotor simply slips
through its normal virtual electronic cage and spins really fast.
It doesn't spin 1.4 times faster but instead maybe 14 times faster.

That`s a posibility, but if the rear cam barrel in the timer were
turning too fast, the drum wouldn`t do the correct number of turns per
direction in tumble before changing direction.

Ron
--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system