Roger Taylor

Default Wooden Window Sill: Repairing Of ?

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Have a wooden window sill that has a few inches missing from an outside
corner. Not rotted out, this area is totally gone. Probably rotted first,
then just broke off. Hate to go to the expense of having a carpenter come
in to replace the whole sill. Remember a few years back when we had one
done, it was quite costly. Was wondering if theres anything like "plastic
wood" that would bond very well to the raw edge that was created, and that
I can perhaps file or grind to the right shape after it sets up. It would
have to have a "mass" that would cover perhaps 4" x 4" x the thickness of
the sill. Quite a "chunk," I guess. Any thoughts on this would be most
appreciated.

If the wood is porous, and it will be if it has any rot at all, apply
several coats of fresh boiled linseed oil, several days apart, until the oil
no longer soaks in immediately. This hardens the wood and makes a better
base for what comes next. Then, after fully dry, sand off a fresh surface,
paint the rough edge, preferably with a good acrylic fast drying primer.
Then mix and apply Durham's Rock Hard Putty, an acrylic dry-mix repair
compound available in the paint and filler section of any hardware store..
If the repair part is too big, you might need to build a little support
piece of plywood topped with waxed paper so it will not stick, once the
putty is dry. Prime and paint the repaired area, after some sanding. I use
this putty for such repairs, and it works great, is easy to mix, and lasts
forever.