John B

Default Your kickback experience

Greg G. wrote:
Mike Marlow said:

"Greg G." wrote in message

Yep, it left a small cut, but a large bruise on my hand.
Must have hit pretty hard, cause there was bleeding under the skin,
and it hurt like the dickens for weeks.

The cut was through - but I let the piece _just_ kiss the back of the
blade. And it'll never happen again, if I can help it. It was one of
those _What If_ moments, for sure.

It only has to happen one time and you quickly figure out that the slight
"swishing" sound you hear is a precursor to a very bad thing. And to
think - it's such a gentle little sound...

That is probably one reservation I held for a while about a more
powerful saw - what if it had been 3HP instead of 1HP.

On a lathe, you can leave the belt a little lose to help cushion the
response to a catch, but you still have to deal with the kinetic
energy contained in the rotating object. On a 3HP table saw, that
isn't an option - it doesn't jam and stall, it rips it outta there and
sends it flying, continuing to merrily spin along, never skipping a
beat.

When I first purchased a WWII table saw blade, that thing was _SO_
freaken sharp it was unnerving. It was like 40 little well formed,
scary-sharpened chisels all vying for a piece-o-me. Granted, the
blade's sharpness ultimately means less than it's speed and energy -
they'll all cut your fingers off just as quick - but that thing just
made it seem so ... scary ...

Greg G.

Something my Dad taught me and I try to live by ;-
Machines are alive.
They never apologise.
If you're scared of them, they will sense it and bite.
If you respect them, They will respect you.
If you treat them well, they will treat you well.
If you let them work at their own pace, they'll work forever.
If you push them, they'll push back and eventually jack up.
Machines are always happier doing the job they were designed for.
and finally
You only shake hands with a Power House once.

regards
John