Default Your kickback experience

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:04:04 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

In roughly 30 yrs I've never experienced any instance of severe
kickback.

I do not use the TS splitter.

My only real conscious practice is to routinely push _everything_
completely through and take offcuts away immediately and to ensure blade
is at proper depth to clear surface.

Duane,
I'm with you, in 35 years I've never had anything like severe and I
don't use the splitter. But I can still remember the first day of
instruction on the TS in woodshop. Took 4 years in it with the same
instructor, Mr Norman. A skilled woodworker with all digits he did
not tolerate safety infractions at any level, from cluttered work
areas to improperly maintained equipment. You didn't follow safety
procedures you would never finish the class.
Before turning on any equipment you had to pass a written exam on
safely using it. Turning off equipment when a power outage happens is
ingrained in me. Its like my military serial number.

Like you I try and make safety a conscious procedure. Because there
is always a first time. My good shop buddy lost a thumb with his TS
and he is just as safety conscious as anyone. Just needed to make one
crosscut on a small piece of pine, he didn't take the 2min. to walk
over and grab his sled and put it on. Why, he was going to rip a bunch
of oak and thought he could handle the crosscut and save a few
minutes.
Just one time and one thumb.
Ed