Mike Marlow

Default Your kickback experience

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
et...
IMHO being in position to firmly hold down the wood and learning to

deal
with and not panic during a developing situation that would lead to a

kick
back is better than trying to keep out of the way.

Do not procede with any procedure that you would feel unsafe in doing.

Well, the very best way to avoid danger is - to avoid it. I'll say that
with out qualification. If you're not there, you can't get hit. If you
haven't seen the classic body positions from the basic woodworking
literature on how to rip on a tablesaw, look at them. Good information.

I think what Leon is saying George - and I agree with it, is that better
control and observation will result in fewer kickbacks. Kickback is not
something that is "going to happen". It does not have to be a part of your
woodworking endeavor. Standing off to the side positions the operator to be
in less control over the workpiece and increases the likelihood of kickback.
Kickback is not magic - it is very predictable and very observable. Good
practice makes a better preventative measure than adopting postions that
lessen your control and observation of what's taking place.

And letting go is a great option in my opinion, it's one that I developed

by
reading accident reports in my former job, where most fatalities were from
delaying ejection (trying to salvage something) until out of the envelope.
When it doubt - punch out.

I'm not in favor of letting go. That guarantees the outcome. Why let go
when controlling the piece will result in an incident free cut? There's
quite a bit of difference between controlling a cut to prevent a kickback
and punching out of an airplane. Though at some point one could certainly
draw an anology between a jet and an errant piece of wood...

I'm not going to risk my fingers for _any_ piece of wood, I don't care if
it's ebony. Nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

Yeah - but that's not at all a part of what's being discussed. I'll take it
one point further and say that I'm not about to willingly let a piece of
wood go ballistic when I possess the ability to control it through the cut
and to a restful place on the other side of the saw blade.

--

-Mike-